Ron Tov, AIA possesses extensive architectural experience in a wide variety of project and building types. He has specialized technical expertise in the areas of building codes and standards, fire-resistive construction, accessibility requirements, and materials specifications. Over the course of his career, he has been responsible for design, materials research and specification, supervision of construction document preparation and construction contract administration for a broad range of new construction projects. Mr. Tov's special area of expertise is the analysis, interpretation, and application of building codes and regulations, including considerable experience working with building officials.
Mr. Tov brings over 25 years of forensic architecture consulting experience to bear on each matter he is involved in. As Principal Architect and then President of KPA Associates, Mr. Tov oversaw the firm's Forensic Services, as well as personally providing services such as site investigation, defect identification and analysis, building code research, construction materials evaluations, and the preparation of repair recommendations. Mr. Tov's forensic experience comprises investigations of commercial, industrial, and multifamily and single family residential projects in California, Arizona and Nevada involving over 17,000 units, as well as providing consulting services on personal injury claims.
Drawing on his broad architectural expertise, Mr. Tov has provided construction consulting services for new projects, including those experiencing problems during construction, and has also performed post-construction investigations of existing structures for owners, developers, and insurance carriers. He has been involved in post-construction evaluation and analysis of building code violations, water intrusion claims, exterior wall system deficiencies, roofing problems, and earthquake damage. Mr. Tov specializes in assisting each client by determining the cause and extent of construction-related problems, as well as by developing the most cost-effective solutions.
Mr. Tov has provided forensic consulting services in numerous accessibility matters, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Housing Act (FHA) lawsuits, as well as personal injury claims. Having been certified as a California Certified Accessibility Specialist (CASp) since 2013, Mr. Tov has inspected various establishments for conformance with the ADA and accessibility provisions of the California Building Code, such as retail shops, motels, dining establishments, offices, and warehouses. In addition to providing forensic consulting services in accessibility matters, Mr. Tov has provided CASp reports for use by owners in future litigation.
Areas of Expertise:
- Forensic Architecture
- Building Codes & Standards Analysis
- Construction Defects Investigation
- Design Defects Analysis
- Fire-Resistive Construction
- Material Specification
- Accessibility Matters (ADA & CASp)
- Architecture Standard of Care
Licenses / Certifications:
- State of California Licensed Architect - #C23298
- National Council of Architecture Registration Board (NCARB) #46671
- State of Arizona Licensed Architect - #55042
- State of Nevada Licensed Architect - #3696
- State of Colorado Licensed Architect - #305794 (2000 – 2019)
- State of New Mexico Licensed Architect - #4637 (2008 – 2019)
- State of Florida Licensed Architect - #AR98837 (2017 – 2019)
- Construction Specifications Institute
- Construction Documents Technologist (1996)
- Certified Construction Specifier (1997)
- State of California Certified Accessibility Specialist (CASp) - #522