Colin P. Young is a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and the Principal at C Young Associates (CYA). He specializes in the disciplines of contamination and exposure assessment, environmental risk/loss management, industrial hygiene, safety, and environmental compliance. He is a 1982 graduate of the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and has been a representative of the environmental and health science industry for more than 35 years. He has been a member of the southern California consulting and academic community since 1986 and is a past Board Chair for the American Lung Association of San Diego and Imperial Counties.
Colin Young began his career in 1982 with the U.S. EPA’s Field Investigation Team (FIT) in Region 1, Boston, providing technical support at some of this New England’s most contaminated Superfund sites. His practice in San Diego began in 1986 and, in addition to his own consultancy, has managed the local environmental operations for some of the most nationally recognized environmental engineering firms. He is one of few health scientists who have both supported and managed the operations of an industry dominated by geo-engineering professionals. He has managed and been an integral part of the environmental resporation of some of Southern California's largest redevelopment projects and planned communities, including Liberty Station and East Village in San Diego, Otay Ranch in Chula Vista, Robertson's Ranch in Carlsbad and Morgan Hill in Temecula.
Mr. Young is a well-recognized environmental and industrial hygiene consultant and forensic expert in southern California, and taught industrial hygiene for certificate programs at the University of California-San Diego (UCSD) for more than 10 years. In his capacity as a consultant/expert, he has provided environmental assessment and exposure risk/loss management support to countless personal, legal, insurance, commercial, industrial, municipal and local government defense entities. Relative to the former, Mr. Young has provided expert support on more than 250 biological- and chemical-related exposure tort, construction defect, professional negligence, workers’ comp and/or similar civil cases. He has also written and/or reviewed more than one thousand construction, hazardous materials, and/or community health and safety plans in his career. He is an uncompromising local advocate for human health and safety.
In addition to being a member of local and national environmental and industrial hygiene associations, Mr. Young has been an active member of both the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME) and ASFE, one of the foremost engineering associations in the nation focused exclusively on liability management for engineering and environmental consulting professionals. Relative to the latter, he is one of few non-engineering members who have served on some of the association’s committees and facilitated the nationally recognized Fundamentals of Professional Practice program. It is this experience that serves the foundation for the loss/risk management services offered by CYA and Xpera.
Areas of Expertise:
- Environmental Risk & Liability Management
- Industrial Hygiene
- Contamination and Exposure Forensics
Memberships / Affiliations:
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), Fairfax, VA
- American Academy of Industrial Hygiene (AAIH), Lansing, MI
- American Lung Association, San Diego and Imperial Counties, CA
- Member - Board of Directors, Board Chair 2006
- ASFE, Silver Spring, MD - Loss Prevention Education Committee
- Association for Environmental Health and Sciences (AEHS) Amherst MA
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), Cincinnati, OH
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), San Diego, CA
- American Indoor Air Quality Council
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) No. 3987, American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts
- B.S., School of Environmental Science and Public Health
- Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts
- Certificate of Risk Analysis in Environmental Health