Some Commonly (and Not So Commonly) Used Architectural Terminology

Posted by on

When it comes to designing and constructing the built environment, architects, engineers, contractors and other professionals in the industry often use terminology that may sound like a foreign language to outsiders.

Besides all the acronyms describing different practices and professional organizations (from ACI, AIA, ASTM, through to ZNE), there are plenty of words that appear in plans and are used on jobsites that don't otherwise appear in the English language.

The editors at Curbed have put together a short list of architectural terms. Here are some of my favorites:

Building Envelope: A building envelope, also referred to as a building skin, is the physical separator between the interior and exterior of the building. The envelope includes things like walls, floors, roofs, fenestrations, and doors.

Charette: This term is often thrown around in architecture school. In the late 1800s, at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, students who needed to rush their designs to their instructors sent off their drawings on a cart known as a charette. Today, the term has broadened to mean any intense, short-term design project, or an intense, on-the-spot design effort.

Sustainable/green building: Sustainability is a term that’s becoming more and more prevalent in architecture. A green or sustainable building refers to the structure, and the processes related to the structure, that’s environmentally responsible and energy efficient. Environmental factors are taken into account from the initial designs to the construction, as well as the operation and maintenance of a building, to any renovation or demolition.

Source: Curbed

Topics: Architecture, Architecture / Engineering, *, BE, RE, Architect / Engineer, Brian Hill, AIA, CE


Xpera Group News
Xpera Group's Publications


Forensic Articles
QA Articles
CM/Real Estate Articles

Recent Posts

Need Help finding a construction expert? Contact us